To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Business workshops. The following County of Maui Mayor's Office of Economic Development workshops will be held at Maui County Business Resource Center, Maui Mall, Suite B-9. Seating is limited, and subject to change or cancellation. To reserve a seat, call 873-8247. Workshops are free unless otherwise noted.
** "Understanding and Paying Off Debts for Individuals and Small Business Owners" with Phil Lenefsky will be from noon to 1 p.m. Monday. This workshop focuses on being financially numerate or having a good knowledge of arithmetic and being able to understand and work with numbers.
** "The Social Side of Retirement Seminar" with Gretchen G. Voxland will be from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday. Learn how to maximize the most of your Social Security benefits in your retirement.
* Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association, will hold its second and final registration for classes in Beginner Rumba and East Coast Swing, and Intermediate Cha Cha from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and 8 to 8:15 p.m. Monday at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center, 395 Waena Place, Wailuku. Membership dues are $15 per person, 10/course - 2 course minimum. For more information, contact Bill Ruidas, 873-8605 or Jeffery Dela Cruz, 244-3263.
* EdVenture class. "Conversational Spanish" will be from 6 pm to 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays through Aug. 7. Learn conversational Spanish for everyday situations. There are no prerequisites. Cost is $179. For information or to register, call 984-3460.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network, LLC will be conducting the following gardening classes. To register, contact Gachuhi at 446-2361 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
** "Fruit Orchard Basics" will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at Hope Chapel, Kihei. Learn the benefits of growing your own fruits, the right time to harvest and ways to minimize pest and disease problems. Cost is $10.
** "Understanding Fertilizers and Soil Fertility" will be from 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday at Lumeria Maui, Makawao. This session will cover information on understanding fertilizer labels and basic nutrients needs, proper use of fertilizers and understanding and managing nutrient deficiencies. Cost is $15.
* Hui Noeau Visual Arts Center, is offering the following classes at 2841 Baldwin Ave. Pre-registration is required. To register, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com.
** "Hands-On Workshop Using Your DSLR" with Aubrey Hord will be from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday. Students will explore the Hui grounds with their cameras and gain hands-on experience with ISO, aperture, shutter speed, exposure, white balance, focus, and other camera techniques. Prerequisite: Digital Photography Level 1 classes or equivalent experience. Cost is $80 ($100 nonmember). See additional supply list online.
** "Plein Air Palette Knife Oil Painting" with guest artist George Allan will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and July 27. George will cover his 12-color palette, instruct students on how to mix these colors, and assist with subject choice and composition. Some experience with color is beneficial, but not required. Cost is $235 ($294 nonmember). See additional supply list online.
* Mindfulness Meditation. "Introduction to Mindfulness: What it is and How it Works" by Melissa Green will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Awakening in Paradise, 1215 S. Kihei Road., #D-2, Kihei. Learn how to deal with work stress in healthy ways, be more calm and peaceful when life is hectic and busy, balance life and get the most fun and happiness out of it. Cost is $20. For more information, call 891-1114.
* Pacific Whale Foundation. "Making Waves Lecture Series: Responding to Tsunami Marine Debris" will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Pacific Whale Foundation's Discovery Center. An informative presentation by Sonia Gorgula from Hawaii's DLNR who will report on a protocol for responding to Japan's tsunami marine debris, based on data collected from Hawaii. Free. For more information, contact Pacific Whale Foundation's Conservation Department, 856-8304.
* Maui Nui Botanical Gardens, will host an 'Awa Workshop from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. Learn about the unique varieties, medicinal values, and cultural importance of 'awa with respected practitioner and kumu hula, Kapono'ai Molitau. Cost is $25. Call 249-2798.
* Biochar Demonstration and Open House will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday at Whispering Winds Bamboo Cooperative Farm in Kipahulu. Production of biochar using bamboo with an open rick and an Adam's retort and the use of biochar in composts and fertilizers. Free. For information or directions, call 248-7561.