A 73-year-old Molokai man received a year of probation Wednesday in 2nd Circuit Court for pleading no contest to a misdemeanor sexual assault charge.
Maximo Aquino had been indicted Sept. 16 on a felony charge of third-degree sexual assault, according to court records. The charge was reduced to a misdemeanor as part of a plea agreement.
Aquino was charged with having sexual contact with a child from Aug. 1, 2003, to Aug. 30, 2005.
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kim Whitworth said the abuse started when the child, a boy, was 4 years old.
Aquino was in jail for at least three days after he was arrested and taken to the Molokai Police Station on Oct. 15, she said. During his probation, he'll need to register as a sex offender and travel to Maui for sexual assault counseling.
Probation officials will determine how often Aquino comes to Maui for treatment, Whitworth said.
Second Circuit Judge Rhonda Loo handed down Aquino's sentence and set the terms of his parole.
In an unrelated case, Loo sentenced a 51-year-old Molokai woman to a year of probation after she pleaded no contest to second-degree assault for hitting another woman with a mop handle on March 23, 2013.
Loo told Nadine Agres of Maunaloa that the case appeared to be "a cat fight," although she indicated that the victim was not seriously injured.
But "it's not a laughing matter," the judge said. "You're all adults."
Court records show that Agres also pleaded no contest to three charges of violating an order of protection on April 23, 2013.