The Rotary Club of Kahului is accepting nominations for the 2014 Michael H. Lyons II Palaka Award through May 31.
The award recognizes outstanding long-term, substantial volunteer service to Maui County nonprofit organizations. Created in honor of Lyon's tireless community support, the award is named for the signature palaka shirts he wore.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
* Devoted a minimum of five years of service either as a board member or as a member of a working/standing committee of a Maui County nonprofit organization.
* Made a contribution that is both significant and enduring - to the organization and/or the community/constituents it serves.
* Consistent service to this organization that demonstrates commitment and dedication to the nonprofit's mission and vision.
* Embodies the aloha spirit and genuine care and compassion for fellow volunteers, staff and the constituents served.
* Exemplifies the Rotary motto of "Service Above Self" and upholds an ethical code of conduct.
The club will celebrate up to six finalists and announce the Palaka Award winner at a special luncheon on Aug. 1 at The King Kamehameha Golf Club.