* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Rebecca and Mark Altier of Lahaina; enjoys soccer, water polo, reading, and outdoor activities.
* At School: Student government associated student body secretary, Rotary Interact Club president, varsity soccer captain, varsity water polo, National Honor Society, Health Occupation Students of America, honor roll, Youth Relay for Life.
* Off Campus: American Youth Soccer Organization volunteer referee and coach, Lahaina Complex Tutor Program math tutor, club soccer, Visitor Industry Charity Walk, Project Malama Honokawai, Habitat for Humanity.
Maile Elizabeth Altier
* Beyond High School: Short-term goal is to be named class valedictorian. Long-term goal is to attend a university on the Mainland and major in biology or pre-physical therapy. After obtaining a bachelor's degree, plans to get into graduate school and pursue a doctorate in physical therapy.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal heroes are my parents. I was blessed to have two loving parents who support me in all my endeavors and decisions. I can always find their faces in the crowd at my games and school events. They're not just physically there for me, but they also supported me in my decisions. They never force me to think, be, or act a certain way. They've let me become an individual while teaching me valuable traits such as dedication, determination, acceptance and compassion. I'm extremely grateful to have two loving parents who serve as my role models as well."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.