* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Kirk and Gene-Adams Nakamura of Wailuku; enjoys hanging out with family and friends, shopping and making people smile.
* At School: Junior/Senior Class President, National Honor Society, Pono Club, varsity girls basketball, Outdoor Adventure Club, boys volleyball manager.
* Off Campus: Relay for Life, volunteer at Family Life Center, 4-H Valley Isle Girls Club.
Alissa Maree Nakamura
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend California State University - East Bay to major in nursing. Wants to become an advanced nurse anesthesiologist.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my mom, because although life brought us struggles, she always was strong. She never lets anyone bring her down and always supported me in every decision I made. As a child, she molded my siblings and I to ensure us that family is always first. My motivation is my family, and I work hard to someday make them all proud. Thank you for always being there. I love you, mom! "
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.