* Personal: Age 17; son of Suzee-Ann and Ricky Fujihara of Kahului; enjoys swimming, gardening and meeting new people.
* At School: Distributive Education Clubs of America, bowling, cross country, swimming and track. Honor roll, tri-athlete award (two years), most valuable player award for boys' swimming.
* Off Campus: Hawaii Swim Club, volunteer for HSC's summer learn-to-swim program, volunteer for Special Olympics.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college to obtain a degree in natural resources and environmental management. Would like to explore opporunities in that line of work.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"I think the biggest problem facing youth today is the negative influence of social media. I believe social media inflicts a lot of peer pressure towards its users to do certain things or to behave in certain ways. Another problem social media can cause is cyberbullying. With the use of social media, there is a chance for invasion of privacy. Anything you do on social media may be seen by others in your society, whether it be good or bad. This leaves people vulnerable to being cyberbullied. Also, spending too much time on social media may decrease your physical/mental productivity."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.