* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Clifford and Ann Cua of Makawao; likes to read, play the piano, and spend time with God.
* At School: Marching band - drum major, symphonic band, Health Occupations Students of America, National Honor Society, tutor at Ke Hale A Ke Ola Resource Center (with National Honor Society), Best Buddies 2010-13.
* Off Campus: Grace Church youth group, St. Joseph Church altar server and breaking bread ministry volunteer, Family Life Center volunteer, Hawaii All-State Marching Band 2013, Tournament of Roses Parade 2013-14, Hale Makua volunteer program 2012-13, Maui Memorial Medical Center volunteer 2010-12.
Marlena Christina Cua
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college on the West Coast to pursue a master's degree in the medical field.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my Grandma Molina. She is kind, hard working, and has unwavering faith. She was not allowed to obtain an education higher than 8th grade, but that never stopped her. She accomplished many things and lived with the saying, 'If they can do it, I can do it, too,' which she has passed down to me. She is supportive and encourages me in everything that I do. My grandma and I have an unbreakable bond."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.