* Personal: Age 17, daughter of Mark and Melinda Vaught of Wailuku; enjoys singing, dancing hula, traveling, camping, watching movies, listening to music, and playing softball.
* At School: National Honor Society, president of Hawaiian Ensemble, Deputation Team, varsity softball team captain, principal's list, Na Mele O Maui Choir, Class of 2014 'Aha Mele song leader.
* Off Campus: YMCA Day Camp volunteer, Hawai'i Pearls Softball Club, Hawaiian Style Softball Club.
Madison Alexandria Vaught
* Beyond High School: Plans to graduate from college with a masters degree in elementary education and pursue a career as an elementary PE or music teacher.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"Two people I consider to be my heroes are Uncle Jon and Aunty Maile Viela. In 2004, they faced a tragic loss with the death of their 3-year-old son Jrew Kupono Viela. They then turned to God and were able to turn their lives around. This was the start of the All Pono Organization; and organization that focuses on building great character in Maui's youth through sports. I am a proud member of the first Pono team and have lookd up to Uncle Jon and Aunty Maile since. They have truly helped develop the person I am today."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.