To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start / end times, cost and brief description to currents@mauinews. com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Verizon Wireless will offer free in-store workshops that familiarize customers with smartphone capabilities. Workshops will be from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. Sundays at Maui Marketplace, 270 Dairy Road. "Android: Getting Started Workshop" today (except Sept. 15) through 29. "Apple iPhone: Getting Started" today through Sept. 29. "Blackberry 10: Getting Started Workshop" Sept. 15. Participants must register at vzwworkshops.verizonwireless.com/vzwworkshops/. For information, call 877-4343.
* EdVenture classes. The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3231.
"Conversational Spanish Level I" with Saudina Torres will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays through Sept. 26. Learn conversational Spanish for everyday situations. Ages 13 to adult. Cost is $169.
"Reduce Your Foreign Accent" with Walt Tokishi will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays through Oct. 16. Improve your spoken English by learning the patterns of the American speech accent. Requirements: Students must already have ability in reading, writing and speaking English. Cost is $189.
"Make Your Own Natural Herbal Products" with Stephanie Montanez will be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Learn how to make salves, creams, herbal oils, facial products, lotions and more. Cost is $299.
"Staying Focused Behind the Lens: Beginner to Advanced Photography" with Ray Mains will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through Sept. 28. This class is designed to expand on the technical and creative concepts acquired in any beginning digital photography course. Cost is $179.
"Math in Everyday Life: Cooking Math" with Joanne Doell will be from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Fun math with measuring and estimation with fractions, percent, conversions, ounces/grams. Requirements: Grades 4-6. Cost is $44, includes $5 material fee.
* Patch class. "Basic Series 514 Addressing Hawaii's Environmental Standards" will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Class will cover an overview of Hawaii state regulations addressing environmental (safety) standards. For information or to register, call 242-9232 or 249-0101.
* Maui County Business Resource Center will hold free workshops at Maui County Business Resource Center, Maui Mall, Suite B-9. For more information or to reserve a space, call 873-8247.
"Is Your Business Ready for the Next Level?" with Evette Lau will be from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday. Learn about the incubator programs and the services available to the community to take the next step in your business.
"Sales Skills 101 - Communicating Your Way to a Better Future" with TJ Anderson will be from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. This workshop will focus on the single most important aspect of selling - communicating.
"Beat the Banks!" with Phil Lenefsky will be from noon to 1 p.m. Friday. Find out how bankers can take your $100 deposit and turn it into $1,000 in loans. The presentation is strictly for educational purposes. Please review any action or plans you might undertake with your accountant, financial planner or attorney.
* Gardening class. "Strategies for A Thriving Vegetable Garden" with Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Lumeria Maui, Makawao. Learn how to plan a vegetable garden and how to take care of the garden. Cost is $15. For more information or to register, call 446-2361, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.homegardeningsupportnetwork.com.
* Dance classes. Aloha Ballroom Dance Academy begins its new September-October dance class series in rumba and waltz (Silver Level) from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in Kihei. There will be two rumba classes - one for beginners and one for Level 2. For more information, call 879-0055 or visit www.alohaballroom.com.
* Composting workshop presented by Sharing Aloha will be from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the MOA Center, 164 Kamehameha Ave., Kahului. Learn the basics of backyard composting and vermicomposting (composting with worms) and how it can benefit your garden, home, and community. Cost is $10. To register, call 573-3911.
* Fruit Fly Management with Maui Master Gardeners will be from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Community Services Building (205), UH-MC, Kahului. Learn to identify and prevent fruit-fly damage. Bring an empty two-liter plastic bottle for a baited fruit fly trap. Participants can buy GF-120, a fruit-fly-specific organic bait, for $20. Free. To register, call the CTAHR Extension Office, 244-3242, ext. 222.
* Art class. The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering a class titled "Beginning Oil Painting" with Terry Lopez from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sept. 15 through 22. Students will explore the age-old medium of oil painting. Cost is $265 ($332 nonmember) plus supply fee: $185. An additional supply list is posted online. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com.
* Hawaiian 'Uki'uki workshop with Kau'i will be from 3 p.m. Saturday at Hali'imaile Community Garden. Learn how to make dye from the 'uki'uki berries. Bring cheesecloth, a plastic bowl, black paint, stamps and muslin cloth. Donation suggested. To register, call 415-480-4769.