* Personal: Age 17, daughter of Paterno and Josefina Barcena of Makawao; enjoys triple jumping, singing, and watching scary movies.
* At School: Student body president, National Honor Society secretary and tutor, varsity track & field co-co-captain, Health Occupations Students of America treasurer, Maui District Student Council Organization, School Community Council student representative, Advancement Via Individual Determination tutor, Interact Club sergeant-at-arms.
* Off Campus: St. Joseph Catholic Church Youth Group leader, University of Hawaii Maui College TRiO Upward Bound, The National Honor Society of High School Scholars.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a private college or university on the East Coast and declare a biology major. After earning her degree, she plans on advancing to medical school in pursuit of her dream career as an ophthalmologist.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my friend, a King Kekaulike High School 2012 alumnus, Peter 'Bear' St. Michael. Bear provided me with knowledgeable advice worth treasuring. He told me, 'Don't be afraid of your full potential,' for he was convinced that I've yet to discover what he sees in me. Till this day, I'm clueless of his vision, but in my own, I knew that Bear was a hero. He has been, and continues to be, a genuine epitome of excellence and I'm impelled to give him recognition. If it had not been for his aspiration, I would have never found my inspiration."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.