Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Vac Rental | E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Boy, 8, falls down Honolulu trash chute

June 21, 2013
By JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER , The Associated Press

HONOLULU - An 8-year-old boy was taken to a hospital trauma center in serious condition after he fell down a garbage chute of a Honolulu high-rise apartment building, authorities said.

The boy apparently went through a trash chute Wednesday night at what used to be a public housing complex known as Kuhio Park Terrace in Kalihi, said Honolulu Emergency Services Department spokeswoman Shayne Enright.

He had been reported missing and police later found him in a large trash bin, said police spokeswoman Michelle Yu.

He survived falling 12 floors, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported.

Police have opened an injury investigation.

Just last week, the 16-story complex celebrated a grand reopening after a developer completed a $135 million renovation. It's now known as The Towers at Kuhio Park. While there are still public housing tenants, it's now also a mix of affordable and market rate units, said Laura Ochipinti Zaner, spokeswoman for New Jersey-based Michaels Development Co.

The Hawaii Public Housing Authority selected the developer to renovate the 48-year-old complex and its 555 units.

"As for the incident involving the child and the trash chute, I can confirm that this did happen, and that we were very saddened to learn this, and are relieved and happy to know that the child is expected to be OK," Zaner said Thursday.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web