* Personal: Age 18; son of Michele and Klaus Simmer of Makawao; enjoys kitesurfing, surfing, skiing, photography and mountain biking.
* At School: Headmaster's list, Varsity Cross Country, Varsity Paddling, Surf Team, volunteer Spanish tutor.
* Off Campus: Camp Imua, Relay for Life.
* Beyond High School: Plans on teaching kitesurfing and exploring an engineering/design major in college.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"I have always looked up to my father. He has given me a love for the outdoors and most prominently the ocean. Everyday he is able to, he gets in the ocean and encourages me to so the same. Whether it be kitesurf, surf, swim or paddle, the most important thing is just to get wet. Outside of the ocean he is always reading some article or book on all types of subjects. He loves to learn as much as be can about the world around him, and most importantly about himself. His passion for knowledge and awareness has inspired me to absorb as much as I can as a student and has also taught me to view the world from different angles."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.