* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Jo Ann Moniz and Jeffery Lopez of Makawao; enjoys dancing, hula, going to the beach and traveling the world.
* At School: National Honor Society, Marianist Living in Faith Experience Team, student government, Key Club, Action Team, Peer Mediation, Spirit Club, Interact Club, Science Club, Dirt Club, Music Ministry, Varsity Soccer, Varsity Volleyball, Varsity Paddling, Varsity Cheerleading.
* Off Campus: Hula Halau Kekuaokalaau'ala'iliahi, Girl Scouts of America, altar server at St. Anthony Church, Lost Keiki Booth at Maui County Fair, Camp Imua facilitator, Maui Memorial Medical Center volunteer, Hand Bell Choir at St. Anthony Church.
Kaitlin Jo Ann Lopez
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo to pursue a Bachelor's degree in chemistry. Plans on furthering education in graduate school and hopes to achieve a Master's degree in chemical engineering. Dreams of one day changing the world for the good through science and innovation.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My grandma Audrey is my personal hero. Growing up she didn't have many options for her future. Rather than sticking to what everyone else wanted her to do, she joined the army and traveled the world. She has served others and her country, embodying all that she believed in. When she got older, she was diagnosed with cancer and given only months to live. Rather than living in gloom, she lived life to the fullest. With the help of God, she lived for another nine years. My grandma is the strongest person I know. As I enter this world of adulthood my goal is to deal with life's ups and downs with the same strength that she had."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.