A series of nine free health-screening events will kick off Saturday at Paukukalo.
The Prince Kuhio Day Festival will host the 30-foot orange Project Vision Hawai'i bus that will offer retinal/vision assessments from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the parking lot of Paukukalo Homestead Park in Wailuku.
Also, health-care providers will provide Sage PLUS independent Medicare counseling; Senior Medicare Patrol anti-fraud information on Medicare; HI Life Flight information on emergency airlift service; free 'Ohana Health Plan hibiscus tote bags; and Community Alliance for Mental Health counselors for depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and other issues.
Other health-screening events will take place as follows:
* April 5: 2 to 6 p.m. in the Hale O Waine'e Homeless Resource Center parking lot, 15 Ipu Aumakua Lane, Lahaina.
* April 6: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. fronting the Salvation Army Lahaina, 131 Shaw St.
* April 13: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Hana Health Fair, Hana Community Center.
* April 14: 8 a.m. to noon in the St. Theresa Church parking lot, 25 W. Lipoa St., Kihei.
* April 19: 2 to 6 p.m. at Harbor Lights Condominium parking lot, 111 Kahului Beach Road, Kahului.
* April 20: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Haiku Ho'olaule'a & Flower Festival, Haiku Community Center.
* April 21: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Mokuhau Road parking lot by Living Way Church, 399 N. Market St., Happy Valley.
* April 27: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the National Kidney Foundation's Da Kidney Da Kine Day, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center, Kahului.
The health screenings may include:
* Retinal/vision, blood pressure and glucose assessments.
* Spirometry, or lung capacity test, by the Hawai'i Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Coalition.
* Memory testing and counseling by the Caregiver Foundation.
* Help in starting MedQUEST applications.
* Optional counseling for smoking cessation and/or safe tattooing.
* One-on-one education, counseling and/or materials courtesy of:
* Hepatitus Support Network.
* National Kidney Foundation.
* The Queen's Medical Center Women's Center (women's health).
* Lions Club testing of hearing at selected sites.
Event co-sponsors are WE ... A Hui for Health - a statewide, nonprofit consortium of health-related public, private and nonprofit entities including Hui No Ke Ola Pono Hawaiian Health Systems and the nonprofit Project Vision Hawai'i health bus.
For more information, contact Kekoa Enomoto, 276-2713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.