* Personal: Age 18; daughter of John and Anne Summers of Paia; enjoys jogging, reading, playing the piano, traveling, hiking, recreational surfing and spending time with family and friends.
* At School: Student Council recording secretary, Book Club vice president, National Honor Society, Graduation Committee, AP Chemistry, AP English, AP Euro, AP Calculus.
* Off Campus: Volunteer for the Nisei Veterans Memorial Center, Focus Maui Nui Youth Alliance, piano, Relay for Life volunteer.
Alisha Kay Summers
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend the University of Hawaii at Manoa or a university on the Mainland West Coast and major in environmental science.
* What do you think is the bigest problem facing youth today?
"Many of today's youth are unemployed or forced to work outside of their field because of the worst recession in modern American history. As a result, my generation faces the prospect of not being able to own a home or support a family. Today, more than ever, our youth require a college education or skill in a trade to compete in a highly competitive global economy. We need our community, businesses, and government to collaborate and help our youth to succeed in life."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.