* Personal: Age 18; daughter of Maria Ramos and Alexander Flores of Kahului; enjoys reading old literature, historical fiction and random Wikipedia articles. Also enjoys Sudoku and other brain teasers, drawing cartoon faces, making desserts from recipes she finds online, watching thought-provoking movies and texting her friends.
* At School: National Honor Society treasurer, Interact Club officer, former acting president and vice president of Health Occupations Students of America, honor roll student.
* Off Campus: Attends King's Cathedral and Chapel each Sunday.
Stephany Z. Flores-Ramos
* Beyond High School: Short-term goal after high school is to successfully juggle work while attending college. Long-term goal is to get a bachelor's degree, apply to medical school and join the health-care field.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my grandmother because it is from her that I get the strength to persevere. Life is hard but it is even more so when one lacks the skills and resources that others take for granted. In my grandmother's case, she lacks the skill of literacy. However, even though that made doing mundane activities difficult for her, she never lets it bring her down. My own life too has not been a walk in the park and there have been times when I have felt intensely defeated. Yet, I always find a way to come around, and thinking about my grandmother has played an immense part in helping me get there."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.