The Kahului Public Library will celebrate its 50th anniversary Saturday with free special performances and events from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Located at 90 School St., the library also will be open for its normal Saturday public service hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Featured performers will include Grammy- and Na Hoku Hanohano Award-winning slack key guitarist Jeff Peterson; storytellers Peter and Melinda Wing; Maui Taiko; and Au's Shaolin Arts Society.
The schedule lists events including:
* 9 a.m.: a traditional Hawaiian blessing by the Rev. Laki Kaahumanu; and presentations honoring the library's 50th anniversary.
* 10 a.m.: Maui Taiko demonstration of the Japanese drumming style and discussion of the "Great Grandfather's Drum" DVD.
* 11 a.m.: Plunkers, Hawaiian music and hula performance.
* Noon: Peterson and a performance produced by UH-Manoa Outreach College's Statewide Cultural Extension Program.
* 1 p.m.: Au's Shaolin Arts Society, Chinese lion dance and a martial arts demonstration.
* 2 p.m.: face painting for keiki of all ages by Kisha Milling.
* 3 p.m.: Peter and Melinda Wing Storytelling Variety Show.
The celebration is sponsored by the Maui Friends of the Library. Refreshments will be served.
The library opened Feb. 9, 1963. It is Maui's largest public library and serves as an extensive resource center for the islands of Maui, Molokai and Lanai.
People should contact the library as soon as possible if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed. For more information, call 873-3097.