* Personal: Age 17; son of Miho Yoshioka and Dimitrius Sanakli of Kihei; enjoys reading, running, old films, traveling, yoga, history, art and jazz.
* At School: Key Club, National Honor Society, Pacific Asian Affairs Council, honor roll, Secondary Student Council, Cyber Patriot, track and field.
* Off Campus: Maui Youth Alliance Club.
* Beyond High School: Aspires to attend Yale University in order to one day become either a computer engineer or a professor in international relations.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"The inevitable reality of society today is typified by the omnipresence of the ostentatious aspects of popular culture. Within the past decade, the burgeoning of the world wide web has encompassed the minds of youth everywhere. Through music and television and film, the youth has been inundated with trivial diversions that come and go with relatively no meritorious significance. It is, therefore, in the power of the youth to set aside such trivialities in order to strive towards a brightened prospect-one that will elicit reassurance within the local and indeed the international community."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.