The Department of Water Supply will be providing combined water and wastewater bills on a monthly basis starting next week.
Bills had been issued every two months.
Monthly billing will allow customers to align their payment with other monthly utility expenses and provide more opportunities for them to adjust their water use to lower their next bill, the water department news release said.
"The more frequent billing schedule may also help customers to discover leaks sooner, allowing for prompt repair, and reduce high bills caused by leaks, saving money and our precious water resources," said Director of Water Supply Dave Taylor. "It will also assist our ratepayers to budget for these costs more effectively."
Water customers have already been informed of the change through bill stuffers and will soon receive a reminder letter.
It may take up to two months for a customer to receive a monthly bill due to the conversion of the meter reading cycles to accommodate monthly readings, the news release said.
Significant changes will be highlighted in a how-to-read-your-bill insert that will be sent with the first monthly bill.
Other information about the new bills:
* Customers who subscribe to automatic bill pay or online bank payment services should anticipate having their payments deducted from their designated bank account each month instead of every two months.
* A new 10-digit account number will replace the former 14-digit account number.
* Payment due date is now "Payment Must Reach By" date.
* Full payment will be due 20 days after the billing date. Minimum payment by the due date is no longer a payment option.
* The water department is providing customers with more self-service and online customer service options, such as online bill viewing through its website at www.mauiwater.org.
For more information, go to the water department website or call 270-7730 from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.