To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Verizon Wireless will offer free in-store workshops that familiarize customers with smartphone capabilities. Workshops titled "Android: Getting Started" and "Apple iPhone 4S" will be from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Sundays, through Sept. 30 at the Verizon Wireless, 270 Dairy Road in Kahului. Participants can sign up at www.verizonwireless.com/workshops. For more information, email Taryn Nakamura at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Coaches Training Institute, will be offering its "Co-Active Coach Training" course, Friday at Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. It encompasses a philosophy, methodology, skill-set and communication form that balances self-awareness, relationship intelligence and courageous action. For more information or to register, visit www.thecoaches.com or call 1 (800) 691-6008, or contact Myia Wannemiller at 875-0388, email@example.com.
* AARP Driver Safety Class. Kelly Stanley, instructor, will offer a class from 8:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sept. 25, at West Maui Senior Center, 788 Pauoa St., in Lahaina. Designed for drivers 50 years and older, although open to everyone. The emphasis is to become more aware of age-related physical changes, how they affect one's driving ability, and how to compensate. Cost is $14, AARP members receive $2 discount - so bring your AARP card to class! Some insurance carriers offer discounts to those who complete this class. Pre-registration is required, call 661-9432.
* Gardening Classes., Sept. 17; Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network, L.L.C will be conducting the following gardening classes at various Maui locations. Cost is $15. For more information or to register, call Anne Gachuhi at 446-2361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit homegardeningsupportnetwork.com.
** "Soil Basics Understanding Your Soils" will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Monday, at Hope Chapel, (Youth Room). Find out the make-up of the soil in your landscape and the three major strategies you can take to amend them. Learn about soil fertility and nutrition, and how the plants respond.
** "Garden Bugs and their Control" will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, at the Lahaina Civic Center, and 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Thursday, at the Lumeria Maui, Makawao. Learn to identify the common pests of vegetables, their damage symptoms and how to control them.
* Art classes. After school art classes for ages 6 to 12 with Barbara Steinberg will be from 3 to 5 p.m., Thursday through Nov. 15, at Montessori School of Maui, 2935 Baldwin Ave., Makwao. Cost is $118 for eight weeks (includes paints). Advanced registration is required. For more information, call Steinberg at 879-0025. To register, visit www.momi.org/685461.html
* Free talk and snacks about fats and oils, a presentation by Dr. Steve Blake, ScD, author of 'Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils' from 6:30 to 8 p.m., Thursday at Down to Earth, 305 Dairy Road, Kahului. Participants will learn more about healthy fats and oils and how to choose them. How do fats and oils affect arthritis, heart disease, and skin? Which oils are healthy and which are the killers? Call 572-8371 or visit; www.naturalhealthwizards.com.
* A breastfeeding class with Mary Jane Bennett will be from 6 to 8 p.m. on the first Friday of each month at Kaiser Permanente, Maui Lani Clinic. Bennett is a certified lactation consultant. Cost is $25 for Kaiser members or $35 for nonmembers. To register, email Bennett at email@example.com.
* Maui Sea Turtle Symposium. Maui's sea turtles both hawksbills and greens will be the topic of discussion from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday, at Pacific Whale Foundation's Discovery Center, located on the harbor level of the Ma'alaea Harbor Shops. Attendees will learn how to become involved in helping to protect the nests of these endangered sea turtles; free. Reservations are not required. For additional information, please contact Pacific Whale Foundation at 249-8811 ext. 1.
* College for Kids/College Bound, Laulima Building, University of Hawaii, Maui College. Call 984-3231 to register, or www.edventuremaui.com for details.
** "Video Games from Scratch!" will be from 9 to 11 a.m., Saturday. Learn what good game design is, how to program simple video games with animation, use existing characters, modify program details. Ages: 10 plus. Cost is $35.
** "PTP: World of Work" Session A will be from 1 to 5 p.m., Saturday. High school seniors needing to finish high school Personal Transition Plan, be able to finish your personal statement, resume and participate in mock interviews. Students in grades 9 through 12. Cost is $49.