To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Art classes. After school art classes for ages 6 to 12 with Barbara Steinberg will be from 3 to 5 p.m., beginning Sept. 20 through Nov. 15, at Montessori School of Maui, 2935 Baldwin Ave. in Makawao. Cost is $118 for eight weeks (includes paints). Advanced registration is required. For more information, call Steinberg at 879-0025. To register, visit www.momi.org/685461.html.
* Writing workshop.?"Dragon Writers Workshop" will be from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday at Temple of Peace, 575 Haiku Road. Participants will be encouragement to write a short story, novel or memoir, according to a news release. Cost is $15 per class or $50 for four classes. For more information, call 579-6265.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network, L.L.C., will conduct the following gardening classes at various Maui locations. For more information or to register, call Anne Gachuhi at 446-2361 or email email@example.com or visit www.homegardeningsupportnetwork.com.
** "Propagation Techniques - Seeds, Cuttings, Budding, Grafting and Layering" will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Kihei Community Center. Participants will learn to multiply plants using seeds, cuttings, grafting, budding and layering. This hands-on workshop is intended to provide participants with simple strategies to help them make informed decisions and how to avoid time-consuming and costly mistakes when growing plants. Cost is $15.
** "Backyard Composting the Easy Way" will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Lahaina Civic Center and from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 18 at the Kihei Community Center. The class will cover the five critical factors needed for successful composting. Cost is $15.
** "2012 Maui Youth Gardening Workshops" will be from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Saturday at Maui Preparatory Academy, 4910 Honoapiilani Highway in Lahaina; Sept. 22 at Carden Academy, 55 Makaena Place in Makawao; and Sept. 29 at Kihei Elementary School, 200 E. Lipoa St. in Kihei. The class will cover how to make a gardening program flourish. Cost is $25 (includes lunch) for those who register by Monday, or $35 thereafter.
* Vegan presentation. Dr. William Harris will offer a presentation titled "Getting Started" at 7 p.m. Thursday in University of Hawaii Maui College's Laulima Building, Room 107. Harris will discuss the changes and simplifications he has made to the introductory page he wrote for the Vegetarian Society website. There will also be opportunities for audience members to ask questions about diet-relatied issues. For more information, contact the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii at 572-8371 or visit www.vsh.org.
* Whale Watch. Pacific Whale Foundation will host Ultimate Whale Watch from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Mondays. This two-hour whale watch will provide participants a firsthand look at what it is like to be a whale researcher. Whale sightings are guaranteed or participants will receive a free ticket for one of Pacific Whale Foundation's standard whale watch cruises. Cost is $57.53. Save 10 percent by booking online. Pacific Whale Foundation Members save 20 percent. For more information, call 249-8811, ext. 1 or visit www.pacificwhale. org.
* Stargazing cruise. Harriet Witt will narrate a stargazing cruise aboard a Pacific Whale Foundaiton vessel from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday from Lahaina Harbor. Witt is an award-winning astronomy writer and speaker. Cost is $59.95 for adults or $39.95 for children. Cost includes appetizers, dessert and drinks. Save 10 percent by booking online. Pacific Whale Foundation Members save 20 percent. For more information, call 249-8811, ext. 1 or visit www.pacificwhale. org.