* Personal: Son of Leslene Lopez and Vernon Patao of Wailuku
* At School: Student Council President, Hawaii State Student Council Representative, Maui District Student Council Vice Chairperson, Key Club, National Honor Society, Digital Media Club, Hiki No student anchor, judo team captain
* Off Campus: Wailuku Hongwanji Judo Club member
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a four-year
university to study graphic design and business.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.
"The biggest problem facing youth today is the misconstrued definition of value. Most youth define value as something that yields great monetary worth, and some have lost sight of what is most valuable. Many youth of my generation do not understand the value of family, friends, education, and even our own health. I believe it is necessary to educate and remind our youth that it does not matter how many things we are given in our lifetime, but how we use the things we already possess. We must learn to love and appreciate more, rather than worry about a price tag."