* Personal: Age 18; son of Angel St. Michel and Richard Brennan of Makawao; enjoys playing football, judo, tutoring, hanging out with family and friends.
* At School: Member of the National Honor Society, STEM and European clubs; on the varsity football, judo, track teams and a Kekaulike peer tutor.
* Off Campus: Math Counts coach at Kalama Intermediate School, Math Matters coach at Pukalani Intermediate, member of Maui Dharma Center.
Peter “Bear” St. Michael
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college on the Mainland, earning a graduate degree in math and education, and then becoming a post-secondary teacher.
* What would you do to improve education in Hawaii?
" 'Your greatest resource is your fellow students.' These words of wisdom come from my teacher and mentor, Danny Ancheta. I never fully realized the truth of that statement until this past year. The energy and inspiration that surrounds the learning experience when students turn to one another, under the guidance of their teacher, is amazing. Too many students feel that if the teacher cannot teach them, then they cannot learn. The education system in Hawaii needs to promote the truth that the enlightening perspective or tidbit of wisdom that makes the difference between understanding and not can be found in our fellow students."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.