A "Maui Food Product to Market Contest" will be held as part of the Maui County Ag Festival on April 7 at the Maui Tropical Plantation.
The contest seeks new locally made food products that utilize the most amounts of locally grown products. Submissions must have commercial viability; the Maui Food Technology Center will help local entrepreneurs take the product from idea to the store shelf.
The requirements include:
* Four to six servings of the product, to be delivered between 9 and 10 a.m. at the festival. Drop off items at the Grand Taste Education tent.
* List of all ingredients in the recipe and specify the local ingredients.
* Include a short story about the product.
The prizes are:
* First place, assistance from MFTC consultants to bring the project to market.
* Second place, two hours of free consultation with a food scientist and two free nutritional labels, a $300 value.
* Third place, an hour of free consultation with a food scientist and one free nutritional label, a $150 value.
The registration fee is $10. Go to the website www.mauicountyfarmbureau.org/latest/ to register.
MFTC was formed as a nonprofit to offer food science services to local food product entrepreneurs. For more information, contact MFTC by fax at 878-3651 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.