* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Melvin and Kazuko Fujiwara of Pukalani; enjoys shopping, listening to music, reading, spending time laughing and making memories with friends and family.
* At School: Japanese Club president, officer in Leo Club and American Red Cross, member of the National Honor Society, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutor and takes Advanced Placement classes.
* Off Campus: Member of the Maui Youth Philharmonic Orchestra and Tenrikyo Church.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a West Coast college or university to study and pursue a career in law or psychology.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"The heroes in my life are ordinary individuals who find the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. My heroes are my parents, Melvin and Kazuko Fujiwara. They taught me the importance of hard work and determination. They motivate me to do better, think positively, overcome obstacles and most importantly, to reach for my goals. I wouldn't be the person I am today without them. I love you, Mom and Dad. Thanks for all your support and always having faith in me."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.