* Personal: Age 16; son of Michele and Mike Pupunu of Lahaina; enjoys playing musical instruments, such as the guitar, ukulele and drums; surfing and dirt biking.
* At School: Member of 7 am Rock Bank and Honor Council, Honor Roll and on cross country, track and paddling teams.
* Off Campus: Kajukenbo national all-star, member of Kahana Door of Faith.
Lordd Xavier Damo
* Beyond High School: Attend college and study pre-med, possibly to become a pediatrician.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today? "The biggest problem facing youth today, I believe, is drugs, such as methamphetamine. Young adults throughout our state explain their situation as having trouble in their lives because they were pressured by peers into making bad decisions. Kids at ages 12 to 16 take their first hit feeling they won't become addicted. Soon this leads to problems of self-destruction. These adolescents desire more drugs and turn to crime, such as theft. We need to hear the desperate cries of these kids' voices, and we need to tell the community that everyone must say NO to drugs."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.