Kamehameha Schools Maui / Grade 12
* Personal: Age 17; son of Nita and Paul Fernandez of Pukalani; enjoys engineering, theoretical physics, working on cars, playing sports and helping others.
* At School: Team leader for the school VEX Robotics team, the RoboWarriors; member of the National Honor Society and Oh My Globe nature awareness, Japanese and Ocean clubs; Rocketry, Health Occupations Students of America debate, school cross country, swimming and track and field teams; tutor on campus; on the Headmaster's list.
* Off Campus: Attends Christ the King church; volunteer at Christ the King church and school, Royal Order of Kamehameha, Habitat for Humanity and Stomp Out Hunger.
* Beyond High School: Hopes to attend Stanford University and to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering and a master's of business in business management. After obtaining his degrees, his goal is to start his own engineering company.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today? "I feel that the biggest problem facing the world's youth today is their blindness to major issues. I feel that kids today go about their day-to-day lives without giving much thought to many of the problems others face around the world. They are complacent about adhering to the standards of the social norm. Instead of deciding to go out and to try to make a difference in the world, today's youth would rather sit back and ask 'Why should I care?' Today's youth do not care if problems do not directly affect them."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.