* Personal: Age 17; son of Anne and Ray Matasci of Kihei; enjoys photography, sports, reading and going to the beach.
* At School: Senior Class president, treasurer for the National Honor Society and Key Club; action team captain with the Major League Baseball Players Trust/Volunteers of America; member of the cross country, track and soccer teams and Science, Japanese, Spirit and Photography clubs; team member of Living in Faith Experience and on the Principal's List.
* Off Campus: St. Theresa's Church lector, altar server, usher and Eucharistic and peer minister.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college on the Mainland and to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "One person who inspires me is my youth minister, Aunty Kalae Martin. She selflessly goes above and beyond what others might do to help kids at my church, including me, to deepen their Catholic faith. It is rare when she is not greeting people at St. Theresa's on Sundays with a warm smile and chatting with teens about how their week went. Because of Aunty Kalae, I hope to help my church's youth develop their faith when I am older."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.