Wade Hammond to perform Aug. 21
KAHULUI - Christian recording artist Wade Hammond will be performing Aug. 21 at Kahului Baptist Church, beginning at 10:15 a.m.
He will be singing songs from this album "I Can't Stand Alone." The performance is free.
For more information, contact Kortney Shepherd at (888) 361-9473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The church is located at 309 S. Puunene Ave.
Rebirth of center founder to visit isle
PAIA - Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche, recognized by his Tibetan Buddhist followers as the rebirth of the founder of the Maui Dharma Center, will be visiting the island next week.
The founder of the Maui Dharma Center in 1974 was Kalu Rinpoche, who died in 1989.
Yangsi Rinpoche first visited Maui in 1995 when he was 5 years old. In his current U.S. tour, he will make four public appearances on Maui.
* Aloha Welcome Reception, Tuesday, 7 p.m. at the Maui Dharma Center. The event is free.
* A dharma talk by Rinpoche, titled "Free Your Heart, Free Your Mind," Wednesday, 7 p.m. at the Iao Theater. The event is free.
* Blessing of the Aina, Thursday, 4 p.m. at the Maui Dharma Center. The event is free.
* Chenrezig Empowerment and dharma talk, "Heart Advice for Practicing in the 21st Century," 7 p.m. Thursday at the Maui Dharma Center. Cost is $25.
For more information, go to the website www.mauidharma.org or call 579-8076.
Four-class series begins Thursday
WAILUKU - A class series on the basic principles of Unity Church will be offered.
The four-class series begins Thursday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Unity Church of Maui, 483 S. High St.
The class will cover basic Unity principles, philosophy and history.
The four-class series is $45, or $15 per class.
For more information, call 242-9327.
Church celebrating 179th anniversary
WAILUKU - Ka'ahumanu Congregational Church will be celebrating its 179th anniversary Wednesday from 8 a.m to 1:30 p.m.
There will be guest speakers, choirs and musical groups to help celebrate the history and heritage of the church.
There will be a breakfast at 8 a.m. and a luncheon at 12:30 p.m. The event is free.
This is the kickoff to a yearlong celebration of monthly lectures and concerts, leading up to the church's 180th anniversary in August 2012.
For more information, call Pastor Lowaena Hao at 242-1867 or email Kaahumanuchurch@yahoo.com.
* The Religion page is published every Friday. This page welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items.
The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday.
To submit material, go to The Maui News Web site at www.mauinews.com. Look for Local News in the left margin, then click on Submit News: Virtual Newsroom. Once there, click on the Religion link.
For information, call 242-6343 or send e-mail to email@example.com.
"Church Listings" advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact the The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.