* Personal: Age 17; son of Jon and Corliss Yoshiura, of Kula; enjoys traveling, meeting new people.
* At School: Football, baseball, National Honor Society president, Leo Club, Japanese Club, Advance Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutor, Honor Roll, Graduation Committee chairman, blood drive volunteer.
* Off Campus: Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, Maui Youth Alliance, United States Soccer Federation certified referee, Little League assistant coach, Special Olympics volunteer, American Japanese Association baseball.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a university on the West Coast with the goal of entering its undergraduate pre-med program. Looks forward to meeting new people and exploring new endeavors. Long-term goal is to graduate with a degree in medicine or psychology and return to Hawaii.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"Dr. Peter Galpin is my personal hero. He has been a source of inspiration and admiration since meeting him as a Cub Scout. A family man with a successful plastic surgery practice, Dr. Galpin has lived an incredible life as a combat medic in Vietnam to Boy Scout Scoutmaster of Troop 14. He has never been shy when setting me straight or teaching me to be a leader. His philosophy is 'Everybody has to deal with obstacles and challenges in their lives every day. Mine's just a little more obvious than a lot of other people.' I am thankful for his patience and putting up with me."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.