* Personal: Age 15; daughter of William "Kolo" and Alison Place; enjoys dancing hula, playing volleyball and socializing.
* At School: Student Council freshman vice president, Honor Roll.
* Off Campus: Kime Ka La volleyball team.
Heather Makanani Place
* Beyond High School: Plans on earning a degree in marine biology.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my volleyball coach, Aunty Kim Helm. I chose Aunty Kim because she sets good examples that I observe on a daily basis, she is outgoing and is free spirited. Through hard work on the court, she demonstrates the importance of perseverance."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.