Maui Evangelical announces services
KAHULUI - Maui Evangelical Church at 256 Hina Ave. will hold Holy Week services as follows:
* Palm Sunday worship, 8 a.m. Sunday.
* "The Remembrance of the Last Supper" on Maundy Thursday, 6 p.m. Thursday.
* Easter sunrise service, 6 a.m. April 24, followed by breakfast and egg hunting by children.
For more information, call 877-3163 or 244-4745.
* The Religion page is published every Friday. This page welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items.
The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday.
To submit material, go to The Maui News Web site at www.mauinews.com. Look for Local News in the left margin, then click on Submit News: Virtual Newsroom. Once there, click on the Religion link.
For information, call 242-6343 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Church Listings" advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact the The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or email@example.com.
Holy Week services offered at Po'okela
MAKAWAO - Po'okela Church's Holy Week services begin with a Palm Sunday service at 9 a.m. Sunday. Children color Easter eggs during Sunday school.
The Good Friday Tenebrae service starts at 7 p.m. April 22.
The Easter Sunday service begins at 9 a.m. April 24, followed by a potluck lunch, children's Easter egg hunt and a jumping castle.
The church invites people to join a churchwide prayer time at 8:50 a.m. every Sunday in its sanctuary.
The church is at 200 Olinda Road in Makawao. For more information, call 573-0903.
Makawao Union to mark Holy Week
MAKAWAO - Makawao Union Church will mark Holy Week, the seven days before Easter, with three special services, as follows:
* Palm Sunday, 10:30 a.m. service on Sunday featuring special sanctuary decorations, a children's procession and a palm branch for each attendee.
* Maundy Thursday service, 6 p.m. Thursday, "will take a more serious tone in re-enacting the Last Supper and following Jesus to the Garden of Gethsemane."
* Easter Sunday, 10:30 a.m. April 24 worship, followed by the annual egg hunt for children. Before the service, breakfast of hot cross buns and fruit will be served from 9:45 to 10:15 a.m. in the community hall.
Makawao Union Church is an interdenominational community church celebrating its 150th anniversary on Maui. It is located on Baldwin Avenue, 2.5 miles mauka of Hana Highway.
For more information, call 579-9456.
Kahului Union sets Easter schedule
KAHULUI - Kahului Union Church will begin its Easter celebration with a Maundy Thursday service at 7 p.m. Thursday with Pastor Jayson Saito's message on "Christ, Our Passover Lamb."
At 9 a.m. April 24, Pastor Ken Tanaka will deliver an Easter Sunday message on "To Live Is Christ - To Die Is Gain" in the church courtyard, followed by an Easter egg hunt, brunch, and arts and crafts for children.
For more information, call 871-4422.
Unity announces Easter celebration
WAILUKU - Unity Church of Maui will present an Easter celebration beginning at 10 a.m. April 24 at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center, 395 Waena Place in Wailuku.
Guest speaker will be the Rev. Mary Omwake. Educator/recording artist Lei'ohu Ryder will sing and chant. Music also will be provided by Curt Lee, Ken Stover, Louise Lambert, the Unity Choir and Virgie Cantorna. And Hula Hui O Lokahi, under the direction of Holly Sanchez, will perform hula.
An Easter egg hunt for children also will be held.
For more information, call 242-9327.
Largest egg hunt part of festivities
WAILUKU - An Easter sunrise service will culminate in Maui's "single largest Easter egg hunt," according to a news release.
The Maui Christian Ministers Association and Kiwanis Club of Maui co-sponsor the 6 a.m. service April 24 at the War Memorial Stadium.
The Rev. Eddie Asato will speak on "The Power of the Resurrection," with testimonies on transformation by families, churches, businesses and communities.
The Awakening Church will hold the egg hunt at 10 a.m.; youngsters may bring their own baskets.
Liturgy of the Hours set at St. Joseph
MAKAWAO - St. Joseph Church will hold Liturgy of the Hours services at 8 a.m. on three straight days, Thursday through April 23.
Also Thursday, a Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper at 7 p.m. will include the washing of the feet, transfer of the Holy Eucharist procession and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
Also April 22, a Good Friday observance of the Lord's passion at 3 p.m. will include a liturgy of the word, veneration of the cross and Holy Communion.
Also April 23, a Holy Saturday vigil will be held from 7 until approximately 8:30 p.m., a church spokeswoman said.
On April 24, Easter Mass will be celebrated at 7, 9 and 11 a.m. There will be no afternoon Mass.
The church is at 1294 Makawao Ave. For more information, call 572-7652.
Sunrise service, cross decoration set
PAIA - Paia Hawaiian Protestant Church will hold its Easter sunrise service at 6 a.m. at the church located at 246 Hana Highway.
Attendees are asked to bring small flowers to help decorate a cross by the church cemetery.
For more information, call 579-8900 or 244-7340.
Jews for Jesus event is tonight
PUKALANI - A Jews for Jesus presentation on "The Messiah in the Passover" will start at 6:30 tonight at Grace Church in Pukalani.
Reserve by calling 572-8384; a $5 dollar RSVP fee will apply because seats are limited.
Waipuna Chapel plans week's events
KULA - Waipuna Chapel plans Easter services and events beginning Monday.
From 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through April 22, participants may experience the journey to the cross and Our Savior's resurrection during an interactive self-guided devotional time of personal worship and reflection. The experience takes 30 to 45 minutes, a church spokesman estimated.
A Good Friday service will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. April 22, with a separate children's program for ages 3-8.
Pastor Dale Gustafson will lead Easter services at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. April 24, each followed by light refreshments.
Sunday School for ages 3 to 12 will offer snacks and an egg hunt.
Waipuna Chapel is at 17 Omaopio Road in Kula. For more information, call 878-6343 or see www.waipunachapel.com.
Auction, dinner will benefit mission trip
KIHEI - Proceeds from an April 30 silent auction and taco dinner will benefit a Calvary Chapel South Maui mission trip to China this summer.
The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. at the chapel, 575 S. Kihei Road, in the Maui Lu long house.
Tickets are $5 per person or $15 per family. For more information, or to buy tickets or donate an auction item, call 874-9238.
Kumulani Chapel plans 3 services
KAPALUA - Kumulani Chapel plans three services to celebrate Easter this year:
* Good Friday, 5 p.m. April 22.
* Easter Sunday, 6:30 and 9:30 a.m. April 24. Pastor Ricky Ryan will present a special Easter message, and there will be hula and other special performances.
All three services will be held at Hale Hokulani, or "the Barn," on Office Road in Kapalua.
For more information, call the chapel office at 669-6905.
Cavalry Chapel releases schedule
KIHEI - Calvary Chapel South Maui has announced its Easter schedule:
* 7 p.m. April 22, Good Friday service.
* 6:30, 8 and 10 a.m. services on Easter Sunday, April 24. Child care will be provided. A complimentary enchilada luncheon and Easter egg hunt will follow the 10 a.m. service.
Calvary Chapel holds services in the Maui Lu long house at 575 S. Kihei Road. For more information, call 874-9238 or visit www.calvarymaui.com.
Maria Lanakila has 2 sets of services
LAHAINA - Maria Lanakila Catholic Church has announced two sets of Holy Week services, the first at its Lahaina campus:
* Holy Thursday - 7 p.m. Thursday, Mass of the Lord's Supper, followed by solemn adoration and 10 p.m. night prayer.
* Good Friday, April 22 - 9 a.m. morning prayer, with Good Friday liturgy at 3 and 7 p.m. (no morning Mass).
* Holy Saturday, April 23 - 8 p.m. Great Vigil of Easter starting outside the church (no morning and 5:30 p.m. Masses).
* Easter Sunday, April 24 - Masses at 7, 9 and 11 a.m. and at 5:30 p.m., plus "Misa Espanol" at 7 p.m.
And, at Sacred Hearts Mission in Kapalua:
* 6 p.m. Holy Thursday Mass in Spanish.
* 3 p.m. Good Friday liturgy, followed the liturgy in Spanish at 6 p.m.
* No 5:30 p.m. Mass.
* Easter Sunday Masses at 7 and 9 a.m.
Emmanuel Lutheran Holy Week set
KAHULUI - Emmanuel Lutheran Church will celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection with Holy Week services and events starting Thursday, as follows:
* Holy Thursday, 7 p.m. Thursday
* Good Friday, 7 p.m. April 22
* Easter Sunday on April 24 - 6:30 a.m. sunrise service; 7:45 a.m. breakfast; 8:45 to 9:45 a.m. Sunday school; 9:30 a.m. Easter egg hunt; 10 a.m. morning worship service; and 5 p.m. worship in Lahaina.
The church is located at 520 W. One St. near the intersection of Kaahumanu and Papa avenues. For more information, call Pastor Joshua Schneider at 877-3037.
Wailuku Union sets Holy Week schedule
WAILUKU - Wailuku Union Church has released its schedule of Holy Week services.
* Palm/Passion services, 9 a.m. Sunday. The choir will sing selections from "In Christ Alone" by Tony Wood and Russell Mauldin.
* Maundy Thursday, 7 p.m. April 21 in a joint service with Iao United Church of Christ, Wailuku Union Church at Ka'ahumanu Congregational Church at Ka'ahumanu Church.
* Good Friday, noon April 22 at Good Shepherd Church in Wailuku.
* Easter Sunday, Easter Sunrise service at 6 a.m., Easter breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and Easter service at 9 a.m.
Wailuku Union Church is at 327 S. High St. For more information, call 244-9177.
Events at Wailuku Door of Faith
WAILUKU - Wailuku Door of Faith Church announced the following Easter week activities:
* 10 a.m. Palm Sunday celebration Sunday.
* 6 p.m. Passion of the Christ on Sunday.
* Good Friday Communion/candlelight at 6 p.m. April 22.
For more information, call the church office at 244-1286.
St. John's Episcopal schedule readied
KEOKEA - St. John's Episcopal Church has announced its Holy Week and Easter schedule:
* Sunday, 7:30 a.m. Palm Sunday liturgy in the church courtyard, and 9:30 a.m. Liturgy of the Palms with the Catholic church, Keokea Park.
* Monday and Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. morning prayer.
* Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. healing and Holy Eucharist.
* Maundy Thursday, 7 p.m. Holy Eucharist and commemoration of Last Supper; 8 p.m. vigil continues through noon April 22.
* April 22, noon Good Friday liturgy. Activities for children will be held in the parish hall. Each child should bring a dozen boiled eggs to color.
* April 23, 10 a.m. Holy Saturday service.
* April 24, 6:30 a.m. Easter vigil and Holy Eucharist; 8 a.m. Easter brunch; 9:30 a.m. Festival Holy Eucharist, followed by Sunday school Easter egg hunt and Easter bonnet parade. Child care will start at 9:30 a.m.; each child should bring a flower, offering and empty Easter basket.
For more information, call 878-1485 or email stjohns firstname.lastname@example.org.