Passover services, Seder scheduled
KIHEI - The Jewish Congregation of Maui will hold Passover services and its annual community Seder later this month.
Scheduled services include:
* April 18 - 10 a.m. Chametz burning at synagogue, 6 p.m. evening service, 6:30 p.m. community Seder.
* April 19 - 9:30 a.m. Pesach first-day service, including Tal and prayer for dew.
* April 20 - 9:30 a.m. Pesach second-day service.
* April 22 - 6:30 p.m. Shabbat service.
* April 23 - 10 a.m. Pesach and Shabbat morning service, including Shir Hashirim, the Song of Songs.
* April 24 - 6:30 p.m. Pesach seventh-night service.
* April 25 - 9:30 a.m. Pesach seventh-day service.
* April 26 - 9:30 a.m. Pesach eighth-day service.
The Seder meal will include a recounting of the Jewish exodus from Egypt and a four-course dinner with traditional foods, stories and songs. Reservations are required.
The synagogue is at 634 Alulike St. in Kihei.
For more information and reservations, call the Jewish Congregation of Maui at 874-5397 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seder planned at Kapalua location
KAPALUA - Village Cafe and Sweet Shoppe will host "Maui's Westside Family Friendly" Passover Seder at 6 p.m. April 19 at the Kapalua Village Center.
The event will have all the familiar Seder trappings, and a traditional dinner will be provided. The event is open to the public.
For more information, call 214-0008.
Jews for Jesus to give presentation
KAHULUI - A free presentation by the group Jews for Jesus will be offered from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday at Emmanuel Lutheran Church.
Rob Wertheim, a Jewish Christian who directs the San Francisco branch of Jews for Jesus, will speak on how the Jewish Passover meal is related to Jesus' celebration of the Last Supper, and explain why and how members of his group believe that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah.
The church is at 520 W. One St. in Kahului.
For more information, call Emmanuel Lutheran Pastor Joshua Schneider at 873-6337.
Event honors Israeli independence
PUKALANI - Grace Church and an Israeli folk dancing group will hold a celebration marking Israeli independence day from 4 to 9 p.m. May 8 at the church on Kula Highway across from King Kekaulike High School.
The event will include a potluck dinner with health-conscious, mostly vegetarian Middle Eastern foods.
For more information, call 280-1051.