* Personal: Age 17; son of Grant and Joyce Chun of Wailuku; enjoys sleeping, spending time with friends and family, going to the beach, running and watching sports.
* At School: Class president for all four years, Key Club president, National Honor Society community service project coordinator, School Community Council student member, Relay For Life, honor roll, track and field, cross country captain, Hawaii State Student Council Student Leadership Workshop delegate, school and island representative at Key Club Division 22 Regional Training Conference, Graduation Committee cap and gown co-chairman.
* Off Campus: Troop 40 Eagle Scout, kindergarten and 1st-grade junior leader at Wailuku Hongwanji Summer Fun, elementary school Furlough Friday day care volunteer tutor.
Alex M. Chun
* Beyond High School: Hopes to be at the University of Washington or the University of Southern California majoring in political science. Long-term goal is to return to Maui to work as a county prosecutor and eventually enter the world of local politics.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My hero lives a comfortable, ordinary life that grew out of the challenges he faced. From a young age, after his father died, my grandfather Herman Chun, helped to support his family without complaint. He worked hard and eventually graduated from college. My grandfather's strength in building his life motivates me to build my life through hard work, humility and determination as he did."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.