* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Tanya Takatani-Apo and Carl Apo of Waiehu, and Duane Luis of Waipahu, Oahu; enjoys stand-up paddling, biking, hiking, spending time with family and friends, reading, playing piano, watching football and baseball games.
* At School: National Honor Society president, head of peer mediation team, cross country team captain, student government, honor roll, Teens Under Construction, Health Occupations Students of America.
* Off Campus: Grace Bible Church youth group, Na Kai Ewalu Canoe Club.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college on the Mainland. Undecided on studies; interested in sustainable technology, political science and the medical field. "I will see where life takes me."
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"I know this is a cliche, but my mother is my personal hero. I watched her raise more than 10 children, gain a college education in a difficult financial time, manage multiple jobs, and basically sacrifice her world for me. We have been through a lot together, and she has never let me down in the past 17 years. I'm not saying we have a perfect relationship, but at the end of the day she is still the person I look up to. Mom, I wouldn't be where I am today without you. Thank you."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.