* Personal: Age 17; son of Fred and JoAnn Oshio of Kula; enjoys surfing, fishing, baseball, camping, reading, astronomy and oceanography.
* At School: National OceanScience Bowl captain, Interact Club president, Key Club secretary, National Honor Society historian, Maui High VEX Robotics captain, National Science Bowl Math League, baseball, bowling, Advanced Placement classes, honor roll.
* Off Campus: Boy Scouts, Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, Maui Ryuukyu Culture Group.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a four-year university and major in either oceanography or environmental studies. Later, would like to go to law school and return to Maui to practice environmental law.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My grandparents are my heroes. They have taught me how to treat people with respect and care for others, unconditionally. They always seem to be helping out. They usually don't teach us by lecturing, but rather through their actions, and sometimes by telling us stories of their life experiences. I truly respect their wisdom. Because of their positive influence, I plan to choose a career where I can be of service to many and also be a good role model. My grandparents have shown me what success and happiness is. I hope to be like them one day. "
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.