* Personal: Age 17; son of Darren and Rhonda Kurohara of Wailuku; enjoys bodyboarding, fishing, playing video games and hanging out with friends.
* At School: Key Club president, National Honor Society activity coordinator, Math Club, Advanced Placement courses in biology, calculus, English and chemistry, Science Bowl participant, honor roll.
* Off Campus: Math tutor after school and at Kumon, Kahului Baptist Church member and Relay For Life volunteer.
* Beyond High School: Short-term goal: Attend the University of Hawaii at Manoa, majoring in biology. Long-term goal: Earn a medical degree and become a physician in Hawaii.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "After researching and writing a report on the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, I have come to greatly respect this amazing group of heroes for they not only fought in war, they fought prejudice as well. Even when America discriminated against them and incarcerated many of their Japanese family and friends, these valiant men continued to support their counry in an act of utter patriotism. I consider the men of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team my heroes, for they have truly inspired me, and make me proud to be a Japanese-American."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.