* Personal: Age 16, daughter of Nancy Brune of Pukalani; enjoys playing tennis, going to the beach, baking, watching movies, doing photography and spending time with my friends and family.
* At School: National Honor Society president, Key Club second vice president and regional training conference attendee, German Club vice president, French Club vice president, Eco Club vice president, Advancement Via Individualized Determination (AVID) tutor, student senator since sophomore year, Becca's Closet volunteer, class secretary as a junior, attended EAST (Environmental and Spatial Technology) conference as a junior, varsity tennis as a freshman and sophomore.
* Off Campus: Women Helping Women school supplies drive planning volunteer, waitress at Serpico's Pizzeria, attended Camp RYLA (Rotary Youth and Leadership Awards) and volunteered at the Maui Humane Society animal camp as a junior, attended Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Conference as a sophomore.
Mary Jo Brune
* Beyond High School: Would like to go to college on the Mainland, probably on the East Coast, and major in business, specifically entrepreneurship. Would like to eventually start her own business.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My response may sound like a cliche, but it is not. My mother has by far been the most powerful and positive influence in my life. Whether I was dealing with something as small as a bump on the head or as big as a broken heart, my mom has been my shoulder to cry on for countless occasions. Just as any good role model will do, my mother isn't just here to console me, but also to keep me grounded. As a strong, resilient woman, my mother has always taught by example the value of independence and the importance of realizing my own self-worth."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.