* Personal: Age 17; son of Richard M. Tavares Jr. and Paula Cernal-Tavares of Pukalani; enjoys hunting, dancing hula, paddling, traveling, being around plants, gardening, being in the outdoors and watching the stock market's volatility.
* At School: Class of 2010 treasurer, National Honor Society treasurer, Peer Mediation Team, Interact Club, Maui Interscholastic League and state boys paddling championship team, soil conservation awareness team, Headmaster's List (for students with a 4.0 grade-point average), Spanish Club treasurer.
* Off Campus: Volunteer at St. Joseph's Church (teacher's aide for 6th-grade religious education class, monthly sweet bread fundraiser, annual feast, maintains hedges around the church), volunteer at Po'okela Church, Kamehameha Schools Maui 2009 Ho'olaulea Scrip and Accounting Committee chairman, dancer for Halau Na Lei Kaumaka O Uka, alumnus of People to People Student Ambassadors Program.
* Beyond High School: Major in business as an undergraduate, attend graduate school, eventually attain an executive position with a prestigious corporation.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My personal hero is my grandfather, Richard M. Tavares Sr. He is always there to support, teach and love me. Our bond is unbreakable. I enjoy sitting and relaxing with him, and I love to hear his stories of the 'olden days.' Although he is aging, I tend to forget this factor for he is the strongest person I know. He plays senior softball and does a great job. I love to watch him play. I believe he is a big part of shaping me to be the person I am today. Although he is strict at times (it may be an attribute that he kept from his military experience), I am glad that he is who he is. I am blessed to be the grandson of the all-star, the Korean War Marine veteran, and I am blessed to share his blood and his last name. Grandpa, you are my hero!"
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.