Dropping the big one

May 8, 2014 - Harry Eagar
So it seems we are to have a partisan congressional investigation of Benghazi, numero 8.

According to the New York Times, Democrats "remain divided over whether to boycott the select committee. They are concerned that their participation would grant legitimacy to what they believe will be a partisan forum. But they also worry that if they avoid it they won't have the chance to counter GOP claims and defend potential witnesses — including Clinton, a possible 2016 presidential candidate."

Not being a Democrat, I don't get that. If I were a Democratic congresscritter, I'd be in the same mood as Clarence Darrow when he learned the opposing counsel in the Scope trial was going to be William Jennings Bryan. As T.H. Huxley allegedly muttered when Slippery Sam Wilberforce delivered his killer question at the debate on "Origin of Species": "The lord hath delivered him into my hands." If I were on the committee, I'd ask Hillary Clinton: "In your opinion, what has caused the 90% drop in attacks on American embassies since President Obama took office?"

I am sure there will be many other moments, too. After all, if your opponent is working from the Fox News playbook, it will be really hard to lose.

May-29-14 1:19 AM

More PTSD veterans that feel entitled.

May-29-14 12:19 AM

Seems bkaahui does not realize what a covert mission is. Since his lack of keep his mouth shut, he shows his transparency that you can see one ear and out the other.

VA was a problem since it first started. Otherwise bkaahui would have gotten his PTSD tended to. Same with Hospitals all over and much of the blame is to those rich CEOs.

bkaahui

May-23-14 9:56 PM

The reason the embassy wasn't safe is because we bombed Libya, destroying their entire government including the military and police. Period, end of discussion.

This is the lesson that SHOULD (but won't) be learned from Benghazi. Nobody ever wants to address the cause of the problem, they squabble over managing symptoms. The VA scandal is a great example. Nobody seems to have enough brainpower to observe that pointless wars are the cause of VA overload.

May-10-14 11:02 PM

You got that right.

The Republicans got suckered by Fox like thy were with Bundy. They are going to regret this.

May-10-14 4:48 PM

"13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch Without a Peep from Fox News" can of worms is going to be opened..

"GOP Report Acknowledges That The U.S. Military Couldn’t Have Changed Benghazi Outcome"

"Intrigue Surrounding The Secret CIA Operation In Benghazi Is Not Going Away"

Seems many need to know what covert means...covered up..secrecy..'Spooks'..republicans just want an Excuse to impeach President Obama....

May-10-14 12:07 AM

It would be unusual to have an even number from each party. I don't even think that would be to the Democrats' advantage.

Committees of this sort usually issue majority and minority reports, and these often split exactly on party membership.

I think the Republicans have gone so crazy over Benghazi (and I do not really think the rest of the country, even the broad party, has); so they are almost certainly going to sound biased, crazy, paranoid, delusional and unfair.

This is the kind of committee that can make a representative's reputation in a good way.

Think Howard Baker during the Watergate hearings. 'What did the president know and when did he know it?' It was partisan and duplicitous but it sounded well.

Of course, if the only people who watch are the 3 million unemployables who make up Fox's base, it will be a damp squib all around. That's my prediction.

May-09-14 8:24 PM

Winner will be called Ishmael and the loser tied to their obsesive delusion with party in coffin while one is out of coffin.

republicans have 7 members with majority against 5...I believe a fair number be 6 against 6 and that would make someone the 13th Warrior..