Equal time for gun nuts

March 4, 2014 - Harry Eagar
RtO has had harsh things to say about gun nuts, so in the interest of fairness, let the gun nuts speak, directly and sincerely, to the public and explain why they feel the way they do. Take it away Cory Trapp:

"Many people are involved in self-defense shootings every year, and it would appear that most of them have very little effective training. Some survive the event, some don’t. Of those who do survive, do we credit skill or random chance? More important, what do YOU want to depend on if the fight comes to you? The choice is yours, good fortune or superior skills. The majority of gunfights happen in seconds, generally without much warning and at very close range. It does not take an extraordinary amount of marksmanship to hit a person in the chest at three feet."

RtO endorses that last sentence 110%; many 4-year-olds who got up in the middle of the night would say the same, if they hadn't been shot dead by their fathers.

Let's hear more from Cory Trapp, who is a "gunsite instructor," whatever that is:

"For the reactive fight, where we have somehow failed to perceive the problem before it occurs, we need an advanced skill set, and it needs to be highly developed. You must have a reflexive, reliable and FAST presentation (drawstroke). You must be able to index the gun on target, then instantly and smoothly fire rapid, accurate bursts. Finally, this must all be done while getting off the line of attack, MOVE. Without this combination of skills, you are basically dependent on your attacker(s) being totally incompetent."

I imagine Cory Trapp is thinking of split-second decisions like the one in Georgia (follow link) in which a cop quickly, reflexively and reliably -- even fatally -- shot a boy dead who answered the door at his own home while holding a toy. Imagine how badly that would have turned out had the LEO (gun nut jargon for Law Enforcement Officer) not had the kind of advanced training offered by, eg, Cory Trapp, who advises:

"The presentation consumes about half a day, and from then on you should be spending about thirty minutes each night in dry practice for two weeks, then every other night for a month, thereafter about once a week. Bear in mind that it takes about 5,000 repetitions of any set of movements to make it reflexive, where it can be done without thought."

Yes, that's what we want to see, more shootings accomplished "without thought," because we don't have enough of that kind already.

Cory Trapp has other good advice, for example, it is well to practice moving out of the line of fire from a Wii controller by working with a friend, but you can't be too careful (CAPS LOCK IN ORIGINAL):

"This is a skill set that can be well practiced just using blue guns or Airsoft replica guns with a training partner. DO NOT USE REAL FIREARMS WHEN TRAINING WITH A PERSON!"

Finally:

"These skills are like a life jacket or fire extinguisher."

I am not sure how a gun is like a fire extinguisher because I don't remember the last time someone was killed in a drive-by spritzing; nor can I figure out the meaning of the comment on this blog post that Barack Obama is a mulatto who is (or perhaps is not, it's hard to tell) a communist terrorist like "Nelson Candela."

I recommend reading the whole thing to appreciate the pure paranoid lunacy of the author and also, if Cory Trapp rings your doorbell, don't answer.

Mar-17-14 8:32 PM

tucowsdomains?

Mar-17-14 8:24 PM

You are not worth my time Bronson Kaahui.

Mar-17-14 8:19 PM

Whatever you say Bronson Kaahui.

bkaahui

Mar-17-14 2:13 AM

"Defend my position in person. For what?"

Spoken like a true coward.

If you believe in something, you should be willing to stand up and defend it.

Mar-09-14 4:25 PM

"OneAikea, yeah yeah, sure. You have time to talk about it on the computer but not man enough to stand up and defend your position in person. We know exactly what kind of person you are." bronson kaahui

Who is we? Seems you have backers to boldly talk as well online. Defend my position in person. For what? I am not the one running for State Representative. Run? You see me running.

bkaahui

Mar-08-14 6:51 PM

Mar-08-14 4:50 PM

"I have cameras and microphone ready. We can do it in a studio or outdoors." Bronson Kaahui

Do what? Seems this Bronson Kaahui talks in a carefree manner. Too many blows to the head.

Not a coward, just you aren't worth my time.

bkaahui

Mar-07-14 2:58 PM

Next topic will be Edward Snowden is a hero and patriot.

bkaahui

Mar-07-14 2:55 PM

Awesome. Any time, any place, first topic will be legalizing marijuana.

I have cameras and microphone ready. We can do it in a studio or outdoors.

Mar-07-14 1:26 PM

"Legalizing marijuana would not hurt Hawaii" Bronson Kaahui

Mar-07-14 1:21 PM

"You couldn't best me in debate if your life depended on it."

I already have. You seemed distressed.

Mar-07-14 1:21 PM

"OneAikea I look forward to seeing you in person my friend, I will enjoy exposing you for the coward that you are. Let's make sure the cameras are rolling to when I crush you in debate." Bronson Kaahui

Crush me? Like a rope a dope, you want to get knocked out on camera. Right Miss Bronson.

bkaahui

Mar-07-14 12:24 AM

You couldn't best me in debate if your life depended on it.

bkaahui

Mar-06-14 11:59 PM

OneAikea won't show up because he would rather remain anonymous online like the coward he is and the coward he always will be.

bkaahui

Mar-06-14 11:55 PM

Mar-06-14 6:17 PM

bkaahui, probably thinks 1984 is a yearbook since she wasn't born yet.

Mar-06-14 6:06 PM

Seems that Bronson Kaahui is still finger painting.

I don't compromise with those who favor TRAITORS, like snowden. Got that Bronson. You should move to Russia instead of Gilbert SC.

Mar-06-14 5:40 PM

"OneAikea Edward Snowden is a hero. The only "crime" that he committed was exposing the crimes of our government. It was the US government and politicians which broke their oaths, they are the traitors.

They should all be in jail, it is Snowden who deserves a hero's welcome back to Hawaii where he belongs. He is the federal governments enemy, not mine." Bronson Kaahui

1984 is an old book. Read it before you decide to run for office. I look forward to heckling you at your campaign. Got it bkaahui aka Bronson Kaahui.

bkaahui

Mar-06-14 1:55 PM

HarryEager do you feel safer with the good folks running the government protecting you? After all, they are trustworthy, and people in power never abuse it, right?

Mar-05-14 5:39 PM

Shortage of bullets....

Mar-05-14 2:04 PM

I thought we were sufficiently armed half a century ago when there were maybe 100,000,000 firearms in private hands. Now that there are 300,000,000, more or less, I don't feel safer. When the gun safety instructors are stark, raving mad, it makes you wonder about the instructees.

Mar-04-14 10:00 PM

"Getting rid of the Republican party is a step in the right direction." bkaahui

"Well until such time when we can disarm everybody I can't support voluntarily ceding my rights to the government because I don't trust our government. They are always lying about something, especially when it comes to war and civil liberties. The unconstitutional and illegal NSA domestic spying program is a great example of why the government cannot be trusted." bkaahui

Bronson, you plan to run for office on this. You plan to be a part of the government. snowden is informing President Putin on what America is doing. Putin is KGB who relishes the thought of interrogating a weakling. Seems one who favors the ridance of NSA should not run for office and should move to Russia and keep snowden company. What say bronson kaahui? Can't stand the heat here,move to Russia..Dasvidaniya bronson.

bkaahui

Mar-04-14 9:22 PM

Mar-04-14 8:04 PM

The police don't need armored cars, they're just 'fraidy cats who also want to strut around in black suits pretending they are tough antiterrorist specialists instead of the donut-testers they really are.

Did you know the police won't use the substation in Wailuku because they are afraid somebody will shoot them through the window?

Mar-04-14 7:55 PM

Recent news about a year ago, almost, saying that manufacture of guns is not the problem but the manufacture of ammunition is. Seems the military keeps track of bullets by lot numbers. To assure safe firing, short rounds or if ammunition is outdated by powder getting old and stale. Civilians do not keep track of ammunition as they also do not keep track of fireworks that can explode if outdated by cell phones in a bunker. Waikele bunker explosion several years back.