| || |
Baldwin's Tasini, Felix make Hall of Honor
May 21, 2012 - Robert Collias
Perhaps y'all can already tell, but I am on vacation. Doesn't mean I don't check my in-box once in a while, however.
Baldwin High School's Pasoni Tasini just capped one of the most diverse MIL careers ever for a male athlete with state gold and silver medals while helping the Bears win their first state track title — he is headed to Utah on a football scholarship. Kristine Felix was beaten a few times this season, but bounced back with four MIL individual titles to lead the Bears to their 12th league track crown in 13 seasons and then she showed she is the best female pole vaulter Hawaii has ever seen with her third straight state championship in that event — she is headed to Washington State in the fall.
Both were named to the Hall of Honor overnight. This is the release I found in my in-box:
The Hawai'i High School Athletic Association is proud to announce the 2012 Class of Inductees into the HHSAA Hall of Honor:
• Dawnyelle Awa, Konawaena (basketball, volleyball)
• Shane Brostek, Hawai'i Prep (football, track and field)
• DeForest Buckner, Punahou (football, basketball)
• Keiki Carlos, Mid-Pacific (softball)
• Lorens Chan, 'Iolani (golf)
• Mindy Chow, Punahou (judo, wrestling)
• Kristine Felix, Baldwin (track and field, tennis)
• Benny Fonua, Kahuku (football, basketball)
• Lia Galdeira, Konawaena (basketball, track and field)
• Misty Ma'a, Kamehameha (volleyball)
• Mysha Sataraka, Punahou (softball, basketball)
• Pasoni Tasini, Baldwin (football, basketball, track and field, volleyball)
These 12 outstanding senior student-athletes were selected by a 16-person committee of current and former sports reporters, athletic directors and coaches from around the state after two days of meetings. The criteria is based mainly on athletic achievement but character, sportsmanship, academic record and community service also are taken into consideration.
Each inductee also will receive a $2,000 scholarship courtesy of Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
The student-athletes will be formally inducted at an HHSAA Awards Banquet at 5 p.m. June 3 at the Sheraton Waikiki. For ticket information, please call 587-4495.
The HHSAA Hall of Honor, formerly known as the Nissan Hall of Honor, has been recognizing the top 12 Hawai'i senior student-athletes each year since 1983.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment